Monday, December 1, 2014

DIY: Disinfectant Wipes


This weekend was one of those weekends that I really did not want to get out of my pajamas.  I was on-call for the hospital, which forces me to stay close to home, and honestly I just felt like home is where I needed to be.  

Even though it was a stay in you pajamas sort of weekend, we still got a TON of stuff done and our house looks AMAZING!  This is largely in part to my new DIY disinfectant wipes.  

After I fixed breakfast this morning, I reached under the kitchen sink for my Clorox wipes, popped the top and GASP!  I was out of wipes.  This could not be.  I can't survive without those little gems!  I then remembered that I had wanted to try a recipe I had been working on for DIY disinfectant wipes anyway, and after a quick little review, I discovered I had everything readily at my fingertips to give this a try.  

      To do this you will need:  
Old t-shirts, cut into 6 x 8 in. squares
    1 c. of water
     1/4 c. of alcohol
      1 1/4 T. dish soap
       4 drops of essential oils
           A container with a lid 

First I put all my fabric squares into the container.  I then mixed the above concoction, poured it over the fabric squares, and finished!  

I used several of these today, and loved that I could throw them in the washer tonight, and re-use them.  The only thing I didn't care for was the alcohol in this mixture makes the smell strong, hence the essential oils, so I am working on another recipe and will post it after I try it.  The strong smell and re-usability, out weighs paying $3.99 for a container of the name brand wipes though, so over all it was a DIY success!  

Enjoy!


Please note:  ontheurbanfarm.blogspot.com or anyone associated with this site, assumes no responsibility or liability for any consequences resulting directly or indirectly from any action or inaction taken as a result of following information contained or derived from this site or in any linked material.  Attempting to try any recipes is at the sole discretion of the reader.  The content on this blog is provided for information and entertainment purposes only.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Emily. I somehow found your blog (just now learning about blogs) when looking for urban farmers. I couldn't stop reading:> I'm trying to get my large yard going and could use some advice. I would take a class but I'm not local. Looks like raised beds are the way to go. We have a horrible feral cat problem. Not sure how to stop them from pooping in the beds. Also, any dirt would need to be brought in because our yard is all sand. Thinking about a small scale hydroponics system. Any thoughts? G-d Bless, jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo!

      Email me at urbanfarmgirl937@gmail.com I would love to talk to you! Have a Merry Christmas!

      Emily

      Delete