Sunday, August 11, 2019

We aren't okay in Dayton.....

Photo Credit: Unknown


A week ago, a 24 year old man, walked into the Oregon District in downtown Dayton with an automatic weapon, killing 9 people while injuring over 2 dozen others.  Our hearts are heavy and our city is reeling from the pain this man has caused.  

Friday after work, I decided to drive down to the Oregon District to visit one of my favorite stores, Heart Mercantile.  They were selling t-shirts to benefit the victims of the shootings, and I greatly wanted to donate.  Upon walking the street, the feelings of sadness, and the heaviness of the week was palatable on the folks in the area.  And after hearing the 3rd or 4th well-meaning person ask: "Are you okay?" to various people, I realized I was becoming upset, and my heart could not handle another minute.   

You could see by the looks on the faces, people wanted to be alright.  Folks desperately wanted to answer that question positively, however are any of us really "okay"?  

If I was to say I was "okay",  I would be saying I wasn't hurting for the parents, children, spouses and friends of the 9 people whose lives were ended because of this monster.  

If I was to say I was "okay", I would be saying I wasn't aching for my dear friend who was there that night, fearing for her life as she heard advancing gunshots grow louder and louder.  

If I was to say I was "okay", I would be saying I wasn't agonizing over a friend who will never hug her grandson again, or another friend who will never hear her brother's corny jokes again.

If I was to say I was "okay", I would essentially be saying I feel as if our country has no gun control issues.  

Lives were eternally changed last weekend.
Families will forever feel the absence.
Perceptions of safety and fun are now permanently altered.  
Our sense of security is currently marred.

We will eventually recover.
We will go on to heal.
We will ultimately survive.

But today, and into the unforeseeable future, it's perfectly acceptable to not "be okay".



   






2 comments:

  1. The sadness is marrow deep and will leave a permanent scar. Time will lesson it's appearance and the sensitivity to the wound,but the scar will remain. My heart aches for you and for your city. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Em... I haven't read your blog in so long, and when I saw a link on FB I had that moment--"Oh look! A new post!" Now I realize it had to do with such profound heartbreak... and my heart aches for you. I'm in California. My son lives in Dayton. I woke at 5:30 on Sunday to news of the shooting and immediately sent him a text. He responded right away, "I'm ok Mom." Whew. Then a few seconds later: "It's crazy, tho, I've been to that club before." And I just can't get that out of my head. It wasn't my son that was lost... but it was somebody's son, somebody's daughter.... And it just goes on. I want us all to get so angry we pour into our states' capitols and demand that lawmakers make changes. I don't know what else to say....

    ReplyDelete