Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Thank you Matthew....



21 years ago, I was ready to come out as being gay.  Up until this time, I had only told 2 other people I trusted about this, and was finally going to just come out of the closet.  

However, on this day 21 years ago, and innocent young man was discovered in the middle of a desolate part of Wyoming, beaten so badly, that he succumbed to his injuries just 6 days later.  His only crime? He was gay.

I remember the news that night stating his entire face was covered in blood, except for the places his tears left trails when they leaked down his cheeks. This was the first time I'd even heard about hate crimes, and the crime against Matthew Shepard would be enough to scare me into pretending to be straight for another 6 years.

I never met Matthew, however what he did in death for the equality of the LGBTQ community, will never be forgotten. Tonight I will light a candle and remember the brave young man whose life and courage in death set so many of us free....

No comments:

Post a Comment