Saturday, March 11, 2023

Saving Juice....


Thursday evening I had made plans with myself to go hiking after work, the problem was it was 35 degrees outside, and thanks to my ADHD, I had once again lost my coat. 

Honestly not my fault though, because the only thing that changes direction faster than me is the weather in Ohio. Do you need a jacket? A tank top? A snowsuit? A swimsuit? Who knows.... Don't like the weather?! No problem, it will be a different season tomorrow.  It's difficult for me to keep track of my belongings on a good day, throw a jacket into the mix? I'm screwed!  

I had just talked myself out of going on the hike, afraid I would freeze to death, when a friend of mine texted me stating she found my jacket at the rescue I've been working with lately. It was kismet! My jacket was found, and it was only 3 minutes from where I was going to hike. Things were looking good for me.

Standing at the counter of the rescue, getting the scoop on the latest dog additions and adoptions from a couple friends, my phone starts to vibrate. I glance down and it's my friend Fawn asking me to come help her catch a little dog that had been running loose next to the highway all day.

Borrowing a leash, I immediately started to make my way towards Fawn with the hope I could help. She explained there were several people out in the area where the dog was running loose, and that she had her dog with her in an effort to coax the dog, however they were having no luck.

She also warned me there was someone there who was calling everyone off because they has called the animal shelter. I told her to stay there because I was less than a mile away, and I wanted to see exactly what was going on. 

At this point, my head told me I should just walk away from this shit show. There's always egos involved in this type of situation, and to be honest, I wasn't about the bullshit that day. I also didn't have the energy to deal with "energy vampires." The heart though, it knows God never puts me where He doesn't want me, so I rolled my eyes at the universe, and continued. 

Upon arriving I could see quite a few people milling about, several of them being friends of mine, who knew it was only a matter of time before I showed up, and in the epicenter of them all was a blonde chihuahua who was camped out in a corn field. It was easy to see the little dog in question was in survival mode, and terrified as it barked at us while running backwards, hoping to keep us all far away. It was obvious this little dog would likely need to be trapped, the thing we had on our side though was the fact it was a chihuahua. Chihuahuas have a tendency to be very codependent on people, and there was a report this little dog had gotten within 10 feet of one of my friends, so I figured it just needed a little more convincing. 

The shelter came out, and set a trap, with the agreeance the trap would be checked through the night, and the shelter would take the dog if it got into their trap, but looking at this dog, I wasn't satisfied with walking away though, because I knew this dog was in grave danger of being coyote food. I also recognized this dog was shutting down, she was in survival mode, and the last place I wanted her to go was a place where there would be 40 other dogs barking, and surrounded by concrete. I wanted her on a couch, warm and safe. So, when all the people got into their cars to leave, and I whispered to Fawn: "Let them go, let's see if we can catch this dog after a few more people leave." Then one of the other women returned and said, "I really think I can catch this dog." So, she got low, and crawled up to the dog getting within feet, but when she would reach out, the dog would back away from her. Then as we all stood there in amazement, as soon as she gave up, and started to walk away the dog started to follow her!

We all held our breath as the little dog followed her up to the door of a local juicery, and we all thought if she opened the door the dog might follow her inside. We should have known better though.... This last move did allow the three of us to sort of corner the little dog. From there I crawled on my belly up to the dog as we blocked it's exits, and I was finally able to lasso it. 

In the end there was a little disagreement on who was going to take possession of the dog as clearly some of the animal shelter employees are either not as versed on Ohio dog law as they should be, are used to bullying folks and getting away with it, or they have just plumb lost their fucking minds after working together for several decades? Who knows.... But, I never bring a knife to a gunfight, and I have lawyer on retainer for just this reason, as there was no way anyone was going to pry this dog out of my dying hands without a fight. The dog needed a home, not an institution, and I know she would agree. 

Named to honor the juicery that was so concerned for her well being, welcome to the good life, Juice. Brighter days are ahead!

Thank you their generous offer to sponsor this dog, Juice will be available for adoption through Our Farm Sanctuary in Tipp City, Ohio. 

No comments:

Post a Comment