Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Chronicle of the meat chicken: Part 2

Getting some fresh air and sunshine!

Well, the meat chickens are 7 weeks old today.  They are huge!  Here they are in the outside pen getting some exercise and sunshine.  Exercise is very important to their body because they grow so quick and if they don't move around then their legs give out on them.  I have been placing their water at one end of their pen and food at the opposite in order to make sure that they are walking, because honestly these guys will just lay down to eat and drink and never get up if allowed.  They don't act like my egg layers.  They are much more sedate and not as personal.  I thought at first I might feel bad about eating these guys, but honestly I feel okay about it.  I am happy and very proud of the fact that I have been able to raise my own food under clean and humane conditions with no chemicals.  I am nervous about next week though, just because I have never done this before and I don't know what to expect.

Scratching around....

It is so funny because these boys have just started  challenging each other. 



No comments:

Post a Comment