Friday, February 28, 2014

Monster Under My Bed



Tonight on my Facebook page I shared that we've paid off $10,090.65 in credit card debt since November 19th.  It's a feat I'm quite proud of, and it's exciting to finally be in control of my credit card debt.  I have no shame in talking about where I was and where I'm going with this project because what I realized was, as soon as I took control of the "sinking money ship," by sharing this project and discussing it in the light, others were encouraged to do the same.  It also made paying of $20,000 less scary.  You can be scared of the monsters in the dark and you can pretend things aren't there, but what you can't do is be quite as afraid in the light.  I brought my monster out from under my bed and into the light.  And you know what?  He is not as scary now.  Ugly?  Yes.  Scary? No.

Well, not minutes after I posted this information I got an email from a very concerned Facebook friend and her email went something like this:  "Where I am very proud of you for paying off as much credit card debt as you have in such a short period of time, I can't help but feel sorry for you.  You share so much of your life online either on your blog or on your Facebook page. Do you think this is healthy for you?  I worry you are going to have regrets about posting these things."

I chuckled and shook my head.  Silly woman....

Yes, I know I live a fairly "open" life, and if you've followed my blog for any length of time, you know I'm pretty much an open book as long as you aren't rude.  (We don't even have to agree on things, and I'm still open...)  I started this blog knowing my life was going to be public, and there would be people upset by what I shared.  That doesn't bother me in the slightest.  What would bother me is hiding my thoughts, feelings, or what is going on in my life.  If I censor what I share, you are only getting half of me, and that is not fair to you as a reader.

If you read this blog, I can't promise you that you're never going to be uncomfortable.  I can't promise you you're not going to cry.  And I won't be responsible if you laugh and shoot your morning coffee out you're nose.

What I can promise you is a real person, blogging her life, and being authentic 100% of the time.

The people who read this blog and are inspired to dig themselves out of credit card debt, aren't concerned I shared this information.  Instead they are relieved to know they aren't alone....

2 comments:

  1. I'm very proud of you and your family Emily; however, I do hold you responsible for the bouts of coffee shooting out my nose when that happens! ;-)
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. More people need to know that it is possible to reach this goal. Most of the time it feels too over whelming and so they just keep doing the same thing and expecting different results. Oh! Isn't that the definition of insanity? Living on credit cards is insane and unhealthy for both the person and the country. We all pay for those that default on their debt. Thanks for giving people a good example.

    ReplyDelete