Sunday, August 5, 2012

I'm Sorry.....



Several months ago I was having a bad day and while I was having a "moment" I said something mean about a friend.  It was a very selfish and terrible thing to do, but  I did it.  It was not to her face, and as soon as it was out of my mouth I regretted saying it.  In fact as it was pouring out of my mouth I remember my brain asking my mouth: "What in the hell are you doing?!"  Not only did I say this terrible thing about this friend, but I said it with a captive audience.  And as we all know, once something is said you can't retract it.  It was out there and the damage had already been done.  Well, I knew that what I had said had gotten back to her and it just made me sick.  First off, I had made it a conscious effort to not say anything negative for an entire year about anyone, and I had been successful.  Second, what I said was really not how I felt at all.  In fact it was quite the opposite!  Third, this person is so nice, that saying something mean about her was almost like being mean to Mother Teresa. 

The good news for me is that God allows for second chances, and we finally caught up with each other this weekend.  I was able to apologize for being a jerk and able to own up to what I had said.  I explained to her how terrible I felt and that there was no excuse for my behavior.  Graciously, she forgave me.  I will say that this lifted a huge burden off of my shoulders, and I am sure it felt good on her part as well.  I just want to encourage you all to make amends with people if you can.  Remember, we are not promised tomorrow!  If you were a jerk, own up to it and apologize.  If you were the victim of a jerk, forgive them if possible.  It will free you.  I know this because it freed me....

No comments:

Post a Comment