Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Protecting my heart for Valentine's Day


Tonight when I picked my daughter up, she immediately asked, "Mom, did you get that call from the school?"  I told her that I had no clue what she was talking about and she informed me that a note was found in the high school bathroom today, and it stated that: "There would be another Columbine tomorrow. 02/14/2013."  I try not to get too wrapped up in the fear and anxiety that encompasses our world, however when you hear about a threat of a shooting in your child's school system, you can't help but be a little bit on edge now days.  I am certain this threat is just something stupid that some kid wrote and left in the bathroom for someone to find.  Just a stupid joke.    

I am also just as certain that the my heart beats in two rooms in my house.  It beats in my own chest, and it beats in the chest of a beautiful young lady sleeping across the hall.  I am positive that she will not be at school tomorrow.  I can't risk it.  If her heart ever stopped beating, I fear mine would stop along with hers.  She is my life, my love, and it hurts me to even think of what would happen if she were not in my life.

I know I can't protect her from all of the evils in the world, and truthfully I am not a parent that would ever try.  But I can protect her from a possible evil tomorrow, and I will.  As I listen to the rhythmic sound of her breathing I am grateful that I have been blessed with such an amazing young lady, and I am proud to be her mom.

Happy Valentine's Day my beautiful girl!  You have had my heart from the moment you were conceived, and will until my last dying breath.  I can't imagine my life without you.  Not today, not tomorrow, not ever....   

1 comment:

  1. Many hugs Em... You both are amazing ppl and I am proud to have you in my life. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete