Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Full Moon Mocking




 Last night at about 8 pm I got a call from my "once-husband" stating the stable where we board our horses had called him and it appeared one of our horses was colicing.  These are not the words any horse owner wants to hear!  Colic is a relatively common digestive problem in a horse where the horse experiences severe abdominal pain, discomfort, and the inability to defecate.  All horse owners know, where colic can is common in our equine friends, it's not a benign word.  Colic can be the synonym for death.

Grabbing my credit card and leaving dinner on the stove, Miss K drove us to the horse barn where we found our mare Mia, not feeling the best.  I called the veterinarian praying this would not be deadly for our sweet girl.  

When the veterinarian got there he was able to give Mia medication for pain and passed a tube into her stomach filling, her with water and mineral oil.  All the normal things to treat colic....  He instructed us to wait and watch Mia for several hours, to make sure her condition did not worsen.

Finally, just after midnight, with Mia eating a little hay, we left the barn for home, and as I looked up in the sky I noticed the most beautiful full moon.  In the world of animal husbandry, a full moon often goes hand and hand with crazy or weird encounters.  Last night I think the full moon was mocking me.....     


1 comment: