Monday, May 19, 2014

Oh, Hail No!


It has been a rough week around the farm in terms of weather.  I have been coddling my tomato seedlings for 10 weeks, being ever so gentle with them, hardening them off, making sure they have enough light, etc...  and I have been impressed with just how beautiful this year's plants have turned out.  That is what led me to have a complete melt down on Sunday.  (And when I say meltdown, I mean 3 year-old style complete with crying and yelling!)

Sunday, The Reluctant Farmer and I got my mom's garden up and running for her.  We were in a hurry because we had stayed longer than we had meant to and were in a rush to get some of our own tomato plants in the ground too.  We noticed an obvious storm brewing in the distance, however we quickly pulled 45 tomato plants out of the greenhouses and started planting.  Not even 10 minutes after we got them in the ground, the storm that blew through started dropping golf ball sized hail all over my tender tomato seedlings.  It was traumatic for me and the plants.  I went back out to the garden and it looked like the after math of a tomato plant genocide.  There were little tomato plant pieces everywhere!  What came over me next was nothing to be proud of....

Every "f-word" that was not said during Lent was screamed as I threw my shovel like a discus athlete on a track field.  I stomped, I cried, and finally I realized I should just suck it up and move on.  I know by now there are plenty of things I can't control in life, and the weather is one of them.  Tonight we managed to get all of the tomato plants replanted and where a few of them look rough, with over 120 tomato plants I can loose a few and still be okay.  Sometimes I just have to remind myself, it's all about prospective....

No comments:

Post a Comment