Tuesday, January 29, 2013

How Stella got her groove back....


The first dog I saw when I entered the hoarding house on Friday was a majestic looking collie, quiet as a mouse, you could tell this girl was an old soul.  A dog wise beyond her years.  She was laying in a crate, covered in her own feces and urine, with not even so much as a blanket for her comfort.  The smell in the house was enough to make your eyes water, and the stench of ammonia burned my nose.  I looked in at this girl, she had no food and an inch of dirt/dog fur laying in the bottom of her completely dry water bucket.  She showed no emotion, and made me a little nervous.  I talked to her, and I got nothing.  I asked her if she was okay, and explained that we were there to help her.  I explained that she would be fed and watered soon, and promised her I would find a safe place for her to stay.  There was something about these collies that just touched my core.  So noble, and understanding.  I almost felt as if they were part human.

When we got back to the shelter that night, we divided dogs up.  Aggressive or problem pooches stayed at the shelter, while the rest went to the makeshift kennel.  My collie friend stayed at the shelter because she had gotten into a dog fight.  I knew this girl was stressed.  She had not been fed or watered for several days up to this point, she had to ride in the back of a van with a bunch of other dogs, and she was surrounded by chaos in the kennels that night.  The next morning when collie rescue got there, I told them I would take up to 2 collies home with me to foster.  Sharon decided to give me this girl so we could make sure her temperament was sound and she didn't have any problems.  She didn't.  All of the drama of the situation was just way beneath her.   She deserved to be more than just one dog in a sea of 85.  She knew this about herself.  It was evident in her eyes.


I love feminine names for deserving dogs, and I decided this girl deserved a great name.  She would no longer be known as Dog 62.  While she was in my care I would call her Stella.  A dog as beautiful as her, was way more than a number and deserved a name!  As I came to this realization I looked on the floor in front of Stella's cage I noticed a penny.  It was heads up, and I knew this was a sign.  It was a sign that Stella was going to do amazing things and go amazing places.  Stella, the wise old soul of a collie, was going to get her groove back. 




 This is the beginning of her story and all great stories deserve happy endings.  I for one can't wait to watch Stella's story unfold.  I know that there is some lucky person out there, and unbeknownst to them they are about to be touched by an angel: Stella.  




15 comments:

  1. What a beautiful girl! Yes, she does have the look in her eyes of being an old soul. Can't wait to hear more about how this all plays out for her. She will make someone a very special companion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. More stories, please.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for all you do and for showing such love and affection to beautiful Stella!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a soft spot for smoothies as I have two of my own and my father has two rough collies from Tri-State currently, and these are not his first. The work everyone has done in this is amazing and although there were many people who found it necessary to twist to story to fit their beliefs, they need to see the pictures of these poor, filthy dogs. While she may have had the intent to rescue, no one can properly care for 100 dogs alone. Thank you again for all you have done and are doing, I hope my pleas across social media will help raise funds for all sources providing for these dogs to get a second chance!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How old would you estimate Stella is?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think 8-10 years old? She is being fostered through Tri State Collie Rescue, and they should be able to give you more info on her!

      Delete
  6. Enjoyed the story! Thank you ~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stella is absolutely stunning! She probably is an angel, as are you! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marci! I got word she is being a turd in her new foster home, so she coming back here for some evaluation and obedience classes.

      Delete
  8. So glad that Stella is getting her second chance at a happily ever after! I adore my smooth collie and agree whole heartedly that their personalities are uncommonly wise and unwaveringly kind. Thank you for sharing this...truly made my day brighter! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Emily, How is Stella doing? I spoke with D. at Tri State Collie rescue today about Stella. I think we decided that she isn't a good fit for our family as we would like to add another smooth collie this fall (we have been a two dog family for 12 years and it just feels "right"), but I was interested in knowing how she is. Ok...I'm hoping that she has turned a corner and could be paired with another dog. There. I admit it ;~)

    We're waiting for word on two other dogs that are a product of the hoarding situation. Praying that we can find a good match. Thank you for your dedication and hard work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stella has turned so many corners, that she is making a 2nd trip around the block!

      Stella has lived in my house with my 6 dogs and a number of fosters (10?) that have come through my house since she has been here. I completely trust this girl with the RIGHT dog, and she truthfully is not even close to the same dog that I brought into my house several weeks ago. She actually loves other dogs, and they are very important to her. She just is not going to tolerate being with a confrontational dog or a puppy that is in her face. She plays well with ALL of my dogs, and the only problem I have had with her is that I have a pitbull/boxer mix that has not a single manner in her entire body. Stella corrected her several times in the beginning and some of her corrections were hard, but Stella was never unjust in her behaviour and never drew blood. Since an initial period of adjustment she has come along brilliantly and I have not had a problems since day 4. You have to understand that Stella doesn't want to be aggressive. She is afraid. She truthfully just wants to live in harmony and not fight with another dog. It is evident in her actions.

      I think if you adopted another dog that was non-confrontational, non-hyper/obnoxious there is no reason why Stella has to be an only dog. The only issue I am still having is at dinner time she has to be separated because she is just not there, yet and protects her food. With that being said, that is the only issue I have seen with her after the first 4 days of her life here. She is a brilliant dog with the most amazing personality. She is funny, loves her people, and is ready for the right person. I would be happy to speak with you over the phone if you have any questions about her, or if this lengthy explanation is confusing as all get out! :) My email address is urbanfarmgirl937@gmail.com feel free to email me and I will give you my phone number.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the updates. Sent you an email and hope to talk soon! L

      Delete